Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome!

My photo
Welcome! My name is Mrs.G and I started this blog so people could share in my mis-adventures in wedding planning. I married my southern gentleman on September 6th, 2009. Throughout our courtship I became enamored with everything southern and desperately want to become a steel magnolia.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Full Southern: Breakfast for dinner


I have never been a breakfast for dinner girl, I would fight this tooth and nail when I was at home last week deflecting the request from my husband younger. I like to think my tastes have evolved and this change of heart has nothing to do with the fact that I am craving eggs like it is my job. I blame watching Julie and Julia ten times this weekend.

I decided tonight was as good as any to finally throw in the towel and submit to the breakfast for dinner idea.

For my meal I decided to fancy things up a bit and show off my culinary expertise and make eggs Benedict for myself and scrambled eggs and bacon for husband.

I like to use what I already have so this is a modified version of eggs Benedict. I had a loaf of sourdough bread that I needed to use so I went ahead and substituted that for the muffin, also I am a sucker for bacon and had a ton on hand for a recipe I will be sharing later this week (it is what my Grandmother would call an experiment in indigestion) so I subbed that for Canadian bacon.


I cook my bacon in the oven, I love the smell of bacon cooking, as long as I am not cooking it. I hate the grease splatters and how smokey my house gets. If you feel me, this is a sure fire way to cook your bacon and eat it too (you see what I did there, change cake to bacon....mmmm cake). Heat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Cook the bacon anywhere form 17-20 minutes, depending on how done you like your bacon.

Now for the scary part. 


Poaching an egg can seem pretty scary, there is a thin line between doing it the right way and FAILING miserably.

Bring water, and 1 Tablespoon of  vinegar, and salt to taste to a simmer (bubbles along the bottom, with some rising to the top), make sure it stays at this temp for a few minutes before you start, this way you know the water is hot enough to cook the egg evenly.

I learned a different way to poach eggs during my short stint in culinary school. I learned to make a vortex, take the spoon out and gently drop the egg in the center. It looks gross but I promise you it tastes amazing.

Start a stirring.

Once you have a pretty good whirlpool going, gently drop it.


See, I told you it would look bad but I assure you in 3-4 min it will be a pouch of gooey awesomeness.



wait 3-4 minutes making sure the water doesn't boil to much, this can disrupt the egg whites and cause poaching chaos.

After the 4 min are up, grab a slotted spoon and fish the sucker out of there, let it drain and rest it on a plate.

REPEAT!!!!


Whew! Eggs are done.

Bacon is almost ready, now for the hollandaise.

This sauce is by far my favorite sauce, it is creamy and rich, tart and salty. I could literally eat it by the spoonful, but I am pretty sure my arteries would give out.

This is probably the easiest way to make this sauce on the planet and it is a good excuse to use my blender for something other than margaritas.

This can get messy so be prepared.

Blend 3 egg yolks and the juice from 2 lemons for a few seconds, until blended.


Now, take the top thingy off, yes, that is the technical term for it, and pour 1 cup melted butter, slightly cooled in a small stream in to the blender and watch the wonderfullness that is this sauce come to life.


Add a dash of Paprika and salt to taste.

It is time.

Grab some toast. 


Pile on the bacon. 

Add the eggs.... gently. 



And douse the whole thing in the hollandaise sauce. I could say that the reason for so much sauce is because the bread soaked most of it up, but in reality I love like it so much I might just have to put a ring on it.



I might have to have seconds, thirds 15ths tonight.

Husband eating grits.

So will Husband...



















No comments:

Post a Comment