Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome!

My photo
Welcome! My name is Mrs.G and I started this blog so people could share in my mis-adventures in wedding planning. I married my southern gentleman on September 6th, 2009. Throughout our courtship I became enamored with everything southern and desperately want to become a steel magnolia.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's for dinner?

"What's for dinner?"

this was one of my least favorite questions in my life.

I waited for it all day long, and when it came I wanted to punch a clown, which isn't too bad of a thing because clowns scare the crap out of me.

Back to point.

I tried meal planning for 2 weeks, the problem is, I would write it on the calendar and then come home and ho hum about how I didn't want that tonight.

So then I would just buy for meals and let my taste buds decide, this was also problematic because things got repetitive quick and the added work of cooking right when I got home was enough to break me after a bad day. Pinterest opened the door to freezer meals, which for a busy house hold is a GOD send!

We lived on freezer meals for months and it actually saved us some green in the long run, but the majority of the meals were chicken or contained things I knew my picky eater wouldn't like. So, things got repetitive.... again.

To tell you the truth I was getting really burned out, I was lacking inspiration and didn't really care what I put on our table. 

When I left my job this opened up a lot of free time and I became more curious as to what was out there, beyond casseroles and frozen meals.

This is where my woman crush on Ree Drummond takes root.

Oh Ree! You have bewitched me oven and stove.

I know you know this, but she lives on a ranch, cooks, takes pictures and of course owns not one but TWO basset hounds.

Oh yeah and she looooooooooooooves butter, not as much as Paula but close enough. 

I MEAN WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE?!?

ok, I am trying to calm down.

Better.

I started watching her food network show religiously and got her first cook book for Christmas and it was all over, my arteries and my waist line knew it. This cook book is now covered in food stains and the pages are dog eared with recipes to try, not to mention I broke out my cast iron skillet for the first time and wondered where it had been all my life.

Now that I have this time, I want to take time to and feed my family wholesome, down home food. I guess I am feeling that this is the only thing right now that I can really bring to the table, I am not really helping financially so I might as well help the bread winners stay strong and filled with butter.


 So here we go... I am going full southern.

Again, not a sexual term....

2 comments:

  1. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that question too...Big Man tends to ask it alot on Sundays....'what's for dinner this week....'

    ReplyDelete