Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome!

My photo
Welcome! My name is Mrs.G and I started this blog so people could share in my mis-adventures in wedding planning. I married my southern gentleman on September 6th, 2009. Throughout our courtship I became enamored with everything southern and desperately want to become a steel magnolia.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 7: a photo that makes me happy

I have a lot of photos in my albums that make me happy, but this one is pretty sweet for me.

When I was in first grade I was in my first theater production, it was being put on by the high school and they needed a bunch of little ones. It was the King and I.

You had to audition, by yourself on stage.

I remember being called, and walking up with out my music and sung my little heart out.

That was my first taste of the stage and from that day on I was determined to be the lead in my high school musical.

Fast forward about 10 years and I had worked my way up in my high school theater program, until the fateful day came when they announced auditions for my senior year show... "Hello, Dolly!"

Ok first good sign was that it was a female lead, bad sign was we, as a theater department, had some dynamite female contenders, girls that had been in more productions than myself. I didn't really familiarize myself with the music or the show because I didn't want to play Barbra's Dolly Levi, I wanted to make it my own. So I worked, I worked on my theatricality, I wanted to move people with my audition and not stand there a bundle of nerves like I knew I would be.

The day came and I there was a turn out, they finally called my name and I was just thank full that we weren't on stage by ourselves singing under the hot lights, no, we were down actually in the auditorium, I liked this set up better because it was more intimate. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be, I focused on my point and started my piece. I was so proud of myself. I peaked at the right time, that is a worry with a performer, that you peak to soon, but I was spot on.

After all was said and done we grabbed our book bags and went home to a restless night. Because of some backlash a few years prior the theater directors weren't going to post the cast list until 9th period so they could be long gone. I knew that, the cast knew that but one person didn't.

I was in my music theory class and a few of the kids had all auditioned for roles so we were all speculating as to who would get what. One girl that I foolishly called my friend said based on how much the promotional poster looked like her she thought she would for sure get Dolly and I would get the supporting female role because she really didn't like my song choice. Hmpf, I would have to deal with her ignorant ass the whoooooooooole production.

Anyway, the bell rings and it is time to go to our next class and as I am walking out the door the assistant choir director stops me and starts singing Hello, Dolly and congratulates me... I was dumbfounded. I was all "WHA!?!?!?!" she then pulled me in to the choir office and I told her the cast list wasn't posted yet and she swore me to secrecy... I didn't tell a soul but the huge smile on my face told many something was up.

I got the lead in my High school musical.... it is my one claim to fame, but it honestly was one of the best experiences in my life.

This first picture is of me (crazy make up and crazy big hat) and on of best friends Erin D


No comments:

Post a Comment