Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome!

My photo
Welcome! My name is Mrs.G and I started this blog so people could share in my mis-adventures in wedding planning. I married my southern gentleman on September 6th, 2009. Throughout our courtship I became enamored with everything southern and desperately want to become a steel magnolia.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

30 Things: My relationship with Husband (a.k.a your Dad)



My relationship with husband is probably the hardest aspect of my life but is also one of the most rewarding.

this is us 99% of the time 
Let me give you a little back story:

We met young, I was 16 going on 17 and he was a fresh out of high school, college bound 18 year old.

We met on a school trip to France.

I can thank Erica Leman and Erin Quinlan for seeing him one last time that last night in France and us exchanging numbers.

We talked for a year before we saw each other in person again.

When we did see each other he gave a promise ring.... which I kind of told him I wanted and he happily obliged.

We were long distance for 5 years.

We broke up sometime in year 3, we decided to work things out and got back together.

He proposed to me after me almost demanding it 5 years of being together.

He moved here to be with me.

We were married in September of 2009.


I think that covers it.

Ok our relationship.

It is hard for me to put our relationship in to words because it is something that is just ours and in the past I have always compared it to other peoples and what I thought I wanted it to be. Are there some aspects that need work, totally, but there is something really great about it too.

For the sake of honesty I can say that we aren't happy all the time and we do get lazy about each other and our relationship. So it is a constant work in progress but aren't we all?

I still feel like I am doing a crap-tastic job at this... I know!

I am kind of a movie nut and speak fluently in movie quotes, so I am going to use one to help me now.

This movie, I first saw when it came out in HBO and wasn't anywhere near being married and I was horrified at what this couple was going through. Being to young to remember my own parents divorce I had no idea what ended a marriage. Anyway, I vowed then and there that I would never have a marriage like that...

I am not saying that I do but when I see the fights they are having it is scary how closely they mirror our own.

"The story of Us" is about a couple that, after a trial separation while their 2 kids are away at summer camp decide to divorce and the movie concludes with them reconciling instead. There is a lot more too it, like when Ben finally sees himself through Kate's eyes and his part in their failing marriage and Kate seeing that her regimented and tightly scheduled life has pushed away Ben.

Anyway, she has a monologue at the end of the movie that I think fits how I feel about my marriage perfectly:






So there you go. It's hard, but man... it is more worth it than I ever thought it would be.






No comments:

Post a Comment