Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome!

My photo
Welcome! My name is Mrs.G and I started this blog so people could share in my mis-adventures in wedding planning. I married my southern gentleman on September 6th, 2009. Throughout our courtship I became enamored with everything southern and desperately want to become a steel magnolia.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Healthy life: Grocery shopping

I.love.grocery.shopping.

End of story. It is quite possibly my favorite day of the week, from making the list, hunting for coupons and scoring some awesome deals. It is just shoots adrenaline right through me.

Before my healthy life quest it would take me maybe 30 minutes to go major shopping, this has drastically changed. Now it probably takes me an hour, I am the lady that is standing in the canned food aisle taking forever and a day comparing labels, you may think I am crazy standing there with 2 identical cans of corn, staring intently at their label but that is what I do now. I have to make the healthiest choice and if that takes an extra 5 minutes then so be it. It will be worth it when I am at my goal weight.

I know it will get easier, I mean I have made strides since my first shopping trip with hubs. Who, coincidentally is no longer allowed to come with me to the store. If he gave me the puppy eyes one more time I was going to wallop him. I remember having to refer back to some notes I had jotted down about sodium, grams of fat and calories. I will say it isn't that cost effective to be healthy, the cost of fresh produce takes a huge chunk out of my budget but I just can't bring myself to buy asparagus in a can.

here are a few things I do to makes things easier:
1. Plan, Plan, Plan. I plan my dinners for 2 weeks and that gives me a start to my list
2. I have my list made, coupons ready to go on pay day so I can hit the store before I go home, this way I am not tempted to go out to eat on payday.
3. I always have a snack before I go to the store. Going to the grocery store on a empty stomach is never a good idea and I will always buy things I will regret. This fact isn't scientifically proven but it needs to be.
4.I write my list in order of how I shop, I try to hit the outside of the aisles first because that food usually is less processed which equals less sodium and preservatives.

There you go ladies, Have a wonderful Friday Eve!

2 comments:

  1. I love grocery shopping too! Since I'm still in school (and it feels like I'll never get out) it's the only time I really get to do any sort of shopping haha. Plus I love making lists and figuring out what I need to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so organized, smart idea about writing the list in the order that you walk the store!

    ReplyDelete